This policy (together with our Terms of Service and any other documents referred to in it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, in connection with the website www.findyourcanopy.com and/ or the mobile application known as ‘Canopy’ (together, the “Platform”) will be processed by us.
Please read the following carefully to understand the types of personal data we collect from you, how we use that personal data and the circumstances under which we will share it with third parties. By visiting this website or downloading this mobile application, you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Insurestreet Limited (trading as Canopy) of 25 Moorgate, London EC2R 6AY, United Kingdom (“Canopy”, “we”, “our” or “us”). Our ICO Registration Number is: ZA207155.
PERSONAL DATA WE MAY COLLECT
Canopy collects a variety of information that will aid us in quoting and servicing your insurance policy and providing the Service to you. This information includes “non-public personal information”, which is all information that identifies you and is not available to the public.
We collect this information through your application information, your communications with us, your transactions, your consumer report and use of the Service.
We may collect and process the following personal data:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms and participating in interactive features on our Platform or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes (but is not limited to) information you provide when you register to use our Platform and create a rent passport, communicate with other users of the Platform (including real estates, tenants and landlords), provide reviews or report a problem with our Platform. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, NI number, passport number, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our Platform we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our Platform (including date and time); what you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we receive from other sources. We are working closely with third parties including: business partners (including insurers and real estate agents), social network, sub-contractors in technical, advertising networks and analytics providers and may receive information about you from them.
- Types of Data collected. Among the types of Personal Data that this Application collects, by itself or through third parties. Here are some examples of the information we get:
- Application and Communications: Through the App and the Service we gather information such as your name, address, residential information, phone number, National Insurance number, gender, date of birth, educational background, occupational information, former insurance information and marital status, as well as other information that you may provide through our app.
- Consumer Report: Through consumer reporting agencies we gather information such as your ID verification, DOB, credit report and watchlist check. These agencies keep your information and only disclose it to us as permitted by law. By submitting an application for coverage, you authorize Canopy to request your credit report. You are entitled to receive a free copy of your credit report directly from the consumer reporting agency we utilise.
- Transactions: Through your transactions with us, we gather information such as insurance coverage, payments and claims history, and payment instrument information, such as credit card information.
- Website Usage: Like most online services, when you use the Service, we may automatically collect certain information about your visit and store it in log files, such as the website and/or search criteria that led you to our Service, your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), UDID, or other device address or ID, device type, operating system, browser info, and what pages you visit on the Service, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service. We do not link this automatically-collected data to other personal information we collect about you.
- Tracking Technologies: Canopy and our partners (such as our marketing partners), affiliates, or analytics or service providers, use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts, to analyse trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
USES MADE OF PERSONAL DATA
Canopy is not in the business of selling or commercialising your information with third party companies for marketing purposes. We will share your personal information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement. There are however some circumstances in which we disclose your information in connection with developing, providing, and maintaining the Service and operating our business, but only as permitted by law.
We use personal data held about you in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us (including the Terms of Service [INSERT AS LINK TO TERMS] and to provide you with the information and services that you request from us, other users of the Platform or our business partners;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you, but only where we have your consent, as provided as part of the application process. If you do not want us to use your personal data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, do not tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your personal data;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to administer our Platform and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our Platform, including to ensure that our services are relevant and competitive and that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or mobile device;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Platform safe and secure; and
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your personal data with the following selected third parties:
- service providers, sub-contractors and our business partners for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you (including with credit reference agencies, in the provision of insurance policies to you and the processing/ management of bill and rent payments);
- claims representatives, consumer reporting agencies, insurance agents, law enforcement agencies, courts and government agencies. These parties may disclose information to other parties as permitted by law.
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the personal data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others; and
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Platform.
We may also disclose your personal data to particular third parties in the following circumstances:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about our customers will be one of the transferred assets; and
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply the Terms of Service [INSERT AS LINK TO TERMS] and any other documents referred to on it; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Canopy , our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The personal data that we collect is stored by us on our secure servers located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), and is not transferred out of the EEA for processing.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Platform, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
We restrict access of your personal data to those employees of Canopy who have a business reason for knowing such personal data. We continuously educate and train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and privacy of personal data. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with the relevant laws and regulations to protect your personal data from any unauthorised access.
Unfortunately, the transmission of personal data via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data transmitted to our Platform; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Canopy is committed to protecting your information from unauthorised access and disclosure. We have certain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in place that are designed to help protect the security and integrity of your information both during transmission and once it is received. To reduce the risk that your account may be compromised, we recommend the use of passwords greater than eight characters, and that include letters, numbers, and special characters, and that you regularly change your password to one that you have not used within the last year. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us at Customer.email@example.com.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your personal data) if we intend to use your personal data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your personal data to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your personal data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org i
REVIWEING / CORRECTING YOUR INFORMATION
As a consumer, you have the right to review the information we have about you and update, change or delete your information if needed. Support is provided for consumers to request any needed updates to their data either via email Customer.email@example.com. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
In addition, every policyholder has an account secured by a username and password on our website that contains a summary of the information we have about you. Any necessary updates can be emailed to Customer.firstname.lastname@example.org or policyholders may call the customer service phone number listed in their online account.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
If you’d like to opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising (e.g., Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) or customize Google Display Network ads you may do so by configuring your Ads Settings.
BLOG / FORUM
Our website offers publicly accessible blogs. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog contact us at Customer.email@example.com In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL DATA
You have the right to access personal data held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Any access request may be subject to a fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the personal data we hold about you.